"Ecce...Fiat...Magnificat!"

The last few days have not been good ~ not because of anything that's happened, but because of my attitude. I allowed myself to sink into a whinging, self-pitying sorry-for-myself mood ~ just be glad I haven't blogged it!

The crux of the matter though, to be brief, is my unwillingness to take up the task God has set before me, and ended up in the "I Wish" zone ~ I Wish I didn't have to do this/that, I Wish things were different, I Wish I didn't have all htis work to do etc. etc. The I Wish zone isn't a pleasant or a godly place to live! What's turned things around for me is pondering on Mary, encouraged by a book I am reading which looks at three statements she makes in the Gospel..."Here I am...Yes!...Magnificat!" These three words sum up most of Mary's words in the Gospel, but encapsulated in them is the blueprint I as a Christian need to follow.

Ecce...
When Mary receives the news that she is to become the Mother of God, her first response is to say "Ecce ancilla Domini..." ~ I am the Handmaid of the Lord. The word Ecce actually translates as "Here I am" ~ Mary's first response is to offer herself as available to the Lord, just as Isaiah said "Here I am. Send me!" The lesson I learn through this is to be always and fully available to the Lord's bidding, to be able to say, whenever He calls, "Here I am send me" without hesitation. Mary did not hesitate, and her response was one of absolute trust. If only I could be the same! So I say now "Ecce ~ Here I am Lord, do with me what You will, send me wherever You want me to go. I make myself available to You."

Fiat...
Mary's next response to God is Fiat..."Yes! Let it be!" The same word that God used at the creation of the world, when He said "Let there be light!" Mary's words echo God's words as she accepts her role in the New Creation, the New Covenant which is the coming of the Messiah. She could have said why, or what, or wait or even no. My own responses to God are often one of those four! I hesitate to say "Yes", because I want to know all the whys and wherefores beforehand. I want to be able to say "Yes!" with the same firmness of resolve that Mary did, without having to see the blueprint beforehand.

Magnificat!
One of the greatest hymns of praise in the Bible is Mary's prayer, the Magnificat: Magnificat anima mea Dominum ~ "my soul doth magnify the Lord." My life too should be a hymn of praise the the Glory of God, for His goodness, for His love and care, for His sovereignty and magnificence. Most often, I find myself moaning and complaining about circumstances, responsibilities, daily events, when instead my soul should be proclaiming the greatness of the Lord!

I am so grateful to the book I have been reading, The Hermitage Within written by an anonymous Cistercian Monk which has opened my eyes and my heart to the truths in the life of Mary. Lord, grant me the Grace to live by them!


Posted Image
Fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum.
The Annunciation by Mikhail Nesterov

Comments

  1. Autumn..you are very gifted at expressing deep truths..& the picture is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn, at first I was thinking this was going to refer to CONSOLING THE HEART OF JESUS book by Fr. Michael Gaitley because he teaches a breathing prayer to the rhythm of Ecce, Fiat, Magnificat also to go to Jesus through the heart, and example of Mary. I will have to follow up on The Hermitage Within link. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Autumn for sharing your thoughts and insights.
    Your words have been an instrument of peace and a gift of understanding. I too am familiar with fr gait leys rythum prayer and being lead to the hermitage within book you speak of. Thank you again as always blessed by the Holy Spirit through the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Peace love and Mercy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Memorare

The Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

Why Modesty Is Not Subjective